Other health complaints

Sometimes it can be difficult to know where to make a health-related complaint. Find out more about how to make sure you're in the right place

Health-related complaints

If you are not happy with the behaviour of a health practitioner, or the standard of care you or someone else received, you can make a complaint.

Sometimes it can be difficult to know where to make a health-related complaint.

The first step is to speak directly with the health practitioner or the health service about your concerns.

If you feel that you cannot do this, or if you’re not happy with the response you have been given, you can make a complaint to a health complaints organisation.

You can contact your local state or territory health complaints organisation if you are concerned about the behaviour or performance of a practitioner and would like to achieve outcomes like:

  • an explanation
  • an apology
  • a refund or compensation
  • access to your health records or to amend them
  • change in policy or practice at a hospital, medical/dental practice, pharmacy, ambulance or community health service.

The best organisation to contact will depend on:

  • where you live (particularly if you live in Queensland or New South Wales)
  • why you are making a complaint
  • what outcome you are seeking.

The health complaints organisation you should contact will be different depending on where you live.

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra)

You can contact Ahpra if you are concerned about the health, conduct or performance of a registered health practitioner. This may include concerns that the health practitioner is:

  • placing the public at risk
  • practising their profession in an unsafe way
  • not making safe judgements about their patients due to their health.

You can also contact Ahpra for concerns about:

  • registration matters (for health professionals)
  • the advertising of regulated health services.

You can contact Ahpra by phone on 1300 419 495 or visit their website: www.ahpra.gov.au.

If you live in New South Wales or Queensland, it is better if you contact the relevant health complaints organisation listed above instead of Ahpra.

Our role

If you do not think Ahpra or a National Board have handled your matter fairly or in a reasonable way, you should raise your concerns directly with Ahpra if you can.

If you do not receive a response within a reasonable time, or if you are not happy with the response, please contact us.

Make a complaint

Apply for FOI review

More information

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Give us a call on 1300 795 265